Friday, February 6, 2026

another Monday

The chocolate cherry cake I made on Saturday is really fucking good, even when thawed.  I went ahead and just used sugar, 1/3 of what the recipe called for.  It's about 9 grams of sugar per piece.  I'm tempted to go in for another piece.  I didn't have any added sugar at all yesterday and I didn't even think about sugar until I was in bed, so that's huge for me.  I'm not throwing something at a sugar craving monster, I'm enjoying the rich chocolate cherry taste.   

I spent the whole evening typing and printing labels for seeds to give away.  I just cannot write, my arthritis won't allow it, and so printing it is.  Used up a printer cartridge, but since I got that and the printer for free over a year ago, I sure can't complain about that.  I snagged a few of the seeds, like a sorrel that is perennial.  I made a green borscht with sorrel last year and it was odd but tasty.  I don't want a field of sorrel, but a plant would be nice.  I should snag more of the seeds.  I don't need many.  Like a little endive, maybe some leeks.  I don't want to eat endive every day like I was cucumbers for months on end, but a few salads with it each summer, and/or with radicchio, would be nice.   I've been snacking lately on cucumbers that I dehydrated.  They're pretty tasty.  Good to remember to do that again next year, and I should have pickled more.  Oh well.  Next year.  

**

And now it's Wednesday, and a massive thing I had scheduled to deal with tomorrow and Friday is no more, and I am relieved and lightened by it no longer having its heavy thumb on me.  That thumb has been there since October, and I've chipped away and chipped away, and was ok, and now I'm more than ok, I'm free of it.  Now I'm going to do business things during the workday.  Go pick up my new glasses, and groceries on the way.  Get the pneumonia vaccine.  Check my truck's error messages to be sure there aren't more problems.  

**

And now it's Friday.  I got the pneumonia vaccine yesterday and so far i'm ok.  NOt great but ok.  Last time I got vaccinated it super fucked with my head but this time I'm just lightly affected.  Within range of normalish.  

Today I want to go get my new glasses.  I was going to call in sick but maybe I'll just try to be more reasonable about my work - take a long lunch break, maybe leave early, etc.  So many days I work 10+ hours, I should take a shorter day when I can. 

I have many work frustrations.  People are driving me fucking crazy.

This weekend has new native plants on tap for me, and rain.  Friend came over yesterday to spot me on the ladder so I could climb on the roof and sprinkle moss killer, but I took one step onto the roof and said fuck no.  So she did it.  Which saved me money from having to hire someone, and I'm grateful.  I just do not like the idea of falling, at all, and do not trust my balance.  

It seems sunny right now, another reason to try to take time off to be in the sun.  The rain returns soon and possibly snow and ice, so I should take it while I can.  

I also really need to cook.  I got off balance and went out to lunch with a coworker, and the scale is saying I gained two pounds.  Oof.  It was a big plate of white rice and bulgogi beef and spring mix, so I knew it was a lot of calories but two pounds worth?  Scales and my body are weird. 

Going to start sourdough today, to bake tomorrow.  Have winter squash already cut to just pop into the oven.  And I want to clear out my freezer.  I had stashed meals in the freezer for this week because it was scheduled to be tough, and I'm through it, so those can get eaten.  I think I'll also bake more millet berry dessert because I've got the berries and it's fucking good; sweet but very low sugar, and I eat it with yogurt.  I need to get more milk and make yogurt.  OK, yes, getting back into the swing of cooking after a week off.  

And now, time for work.  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment