Whenever I think of knitting during revolutionary times, I think of Madame Defarge in Tale of Two Cities. That aside, I was intrigued by the idea of craftivism. I'd be happy to set up with some knitting at a protest - the standing around is hard for me, I want to be doing something.
So I was delighted to see this article about a protest hat pattern. I've bought the pattern and found a yarn store that I can bike to who has open time this weekend. They are discounting their yarn for this purpose, right on. So I'll buy the needles there and maybe somebody will want to give me a hand to start. I haven't knitted for over 30 years - I knit exactly one thing, a sweater I still wear, in a knitting class I attended at a yarn store that is long gone but I remember exactly where it was, and I'd bike with the project each week. AFter that, I was done. I started crocheting as a child, my aunt taught us because we were obnoxious and it kept us entertained. That I stopped doing probably 40 years ago, though I remember it as even easier than knitting.
So. There's my new weekend plan. Knit a resistance hat. Yay.
**
Oof, I needed a day off from productivity and I took it; didn't get too much done yesterday. I need to reassess my priorities for the weekend. Food is key. I plan to make squash and lentils today and garbanzo cabbage peanut salad, and I need to purchase and prep what I'll cook later in the week because I won't have the bandwidth to handle it then. Have a big work thing scheduled to start Thursday. Still a lot to do to prepare for that, and a crisis that took about 12 hours to deal with last week threw me off schedule, but I think I'm ok barring any more emergencies; I think I have currently two half days left blocked for only this. My support team has been particularly helpful lately, which is great. I have very little control over the priorities foisted upon me, but I try to manage.
I didn't realize how many activities there are going on at the library, including a craft circle where I could maybe go for help on the hats if the store's times don't work for me. What a great use of public space and resources. I use the library heavily for books and I haven't even gotten into the other things that I can borrow, and I've occasionally gone to events but there's a lot more I could if and when I have the energy and bandwidth. There's a guy I know who was going off about how nobody uses the library, everyone is afraid, because of all the unhoused people who gather there. I just looked him straight in the eye and said, "I use it ALL. THE. TIME." And I don't like hang out there, though I have in the past like when I was visiting and needed to study or work, and it's a lovely space so I would hang out there if I had the bandwidth. I've occasionally seen dust-ups like when someone stay in the restroom for hours and staff tell them they can't do that, have sometimes been in the elevator with people who smell bad, etc., and there are always dozens of people who are hanging out there for no other place to go, and some of them are under the influence, but none of that has prevented me from using the library in any way. I don't need a sanitized version of life to engage in it.
Again, I just really like how close to the city center I am, with almost everything I need within biking distance. Even the person who is organizing the seed saving events appreciates where I'm located - any time she comes into town I'm right there, and she'll be dropping more things off with me tomorrow. She lives in tiny house on a farm, type of place, and she's acknowledged that there are too many mice for her to be able to save seeds, etc. I, however, have a ton of climate controlled space to stash things. I've filled one closet and I have more, plus corners of rooms. And I absolutely do not have mice. I did for a minute when I renovated the kitchen and one made its way in. He was bold, watching us without fear, and I was appalled at how my dog DIDN'T EVEN SEE OR SMELL IT - as murderous as the hound is, you'd think she'd be all over killing it. The dog of my childhood was an amazing rodent killer. But no, she let me down. But the many snap traps I put everywhere took care of it, and there's been zero sign of rodents in the house since then. Plus, I have plastic bins I can put the things into if needed. I feel ridiculous for how much space I have - a 3 bedroom, two bath, two car garage house. I sleep in the guest room bed when my dog is asleep in my bed and doesn't want to be disturbed, because I can. It's that ridiculous. But it's sure convenient for needs like this, and she is grateful, and I'm grateful to her for all the coordinating she does and all her knowledge. I always learn a lot from her, and I'm glad I can help in this way.
OK, scale says I lost 1.4 pounds this past week, so that's some traction. Still within the range of "maybe it's real and not just a fluke." It took me under a benchmark. I'll keep going. The next big benchmark that I've created is in 15 pounds more, so that'll maybe be this summer.
OK, off to walk the dog. gotta move, at least a little.
No comments:
Post a Comment