I like this article on health changes I've been making. It breaks down interventions in a way I was doing - start here, then next, and so on. Definitely saving to continue to refer to.
It's not raining yet today, so I look forward to our walk soon. My feet have been hurting a lot but I'll stumble along. The dog lives for these weekly outings.
My hands have also been hurting a lot, and I need to stop using the computer when I can to give them a break.
Yesterday I made date paste to try to use it as a sugar substitute (I soaked, boiled, then food processed them). I have deglet noor dates which I prefer to the too sweet medjool, but I don't know that they'll work great replacing sugar as they're not super sweet in the paste form. I might try to make a sweet potato pie today or tomorrow to see if it will work to replace all sugar with the date paste; it will look a drab color unfortunately, but how will the taste be. I'm taking a pie to Thanksgiving to avoid eating sugar (and to try to set a healthy example for the friends with diabetes and pre-diabetes who eat a lot of sugar) and I'd like it to be good so I probably need to do a trial run. I'll still get sugar in the salad dressing and such, but I can reduce it drastically by not eating the usual desserts.
Yesterday's farmers market was abundant and it was hard to carry about 30 pounds of produce the blocks back to the car. There is a massive cauliflower that I'll roast, collards and kale, turnips with greens, leeks, potatoes, sauerkraut with turmeric, peppers for posole, and I don't even remember what all else, but my refrigerator is stuffed with goodness to prepare for the upcoming week. I also have so much winter squash from my garden to use up (at least 15), beets and carrots and onions and garlic in cold storage, tomatoes that are still ripening, and canned beets and beans, plus some frozen cabbage to use up. I'm definitely in a good position to be vegetable focused. I just have to suck it up when I do not feel like preparing food. I have so many ingredients but so little food to eat, and it can be overwhelming to have to chop and cook when I'm hungry right now. Oh, I also want to make some muffins with local apples and carrots I need to use up; I can try that with the date paste. Those will be a lovely snack when I don't feel up to making a meal.
Well, the scale says that I gained .2 pounds the past week. I did have a piece of cheesecake after taking blood tests, something I'd been craving for weeks and used as a reward for going to the lab which I really hate to do. It seems that my weight loss stalls or even gains when I have just one dessert per week, even when I'm reducing the other calories that day (it was my dinner - which yes, I know is not healthy, but it was once!). I do not have any idea how I will be able to maintain a lower weight in the real world without extreme measures like bringing my own dessert made from dates, or never again enjoying baked goods (which I receive great pleasure from). I don't really care if people think I'm a weirdo, but it's a lot. So that's a bummer to navigate.
No comments:
Post a Comment