Sunday, November 6, 2022

step by step

 I'm still crashed.  I've even had a day off and I still haven't even begun to tackle the apartment.  It needs thorough cleaning and then I need to paint.  I just did the little things like replace lightbulbs and mop the floor, and I also painted the closet ceiling because it was water stained.  That part of the house suffered no damage from Hurricane Ida, but it did from the roof replacement.  They messed up the flashing and so her ceiling got damaged.  They fixed it but I'm skeptical.  That's been the whole theme of these repairs - do they make it worse or better, and what do I have to do to fix their work?  We had rain so I texted the gutter guy also because there are problems.  Any one of these things wouldn't be a big deal, but the cumulation wearies me.  Oh, and my workshop has water pouring in when it rains so I have to figure out and fix that.  Ugh.  I still have to get up in the attic to remove the debris the roofers left, and that's a task I'm not looking forward to.  So I haven't done it.

I think I'm dragging because (1) I'm tired.  It's been a lot.  (2) I am dreading getting to the point of strangers coming into my house and all the ickiness surrounding a house sale.  I'm very concerned about the interest rate increases and the slowing of the housing market and the flakiness of home buyers here.  I'm also concerned about the quirkiness of this house - from the flooring dips to the lack of bathtub to layout - it's all just not a typical house and most people will pass it by.  My poor "decorating" doesn't help.  Almost all furnishings was free, and it shows.  

Don't get me wrong, I'm still proceeding.  I'll still get the house on the market soon.  I haven't stopped, I just paused a minute to catch my breath.  I spent most of yesterday on food preparation, making healthy foods for the first time in weeks.  Green papaya salad?  Yes, please.   

I have some days off coming up and I will focus back.  First is apartment to get show-ready.  

As I start in there, I contemplate: "What if the house doesn't sell?"  There's a chance, because I don't want to go below a certain price.  I'd rather stay in it than sell at a loss.  That is true even though I have lived in this house for years at a deep discount and only put real money into it in the past year and a half.  If I need to do calculations to justify selling for a low price, I can do that.  I'm just not at that point yet and I would like to recoup.  But this is not a healthy market for that.  

If I don't sell right away, I may plan to move west in early 2023.  It would probably be much less stressful to have the house on the market without me and the dog in it. Other complications of course like having a house sit unattended (though neighbors on both sides would pay attention) and the yard maintenance (I'm sure I can hire somebody who would be fine even though it's not the usual).  

On the other hand, maybe I stay here and rent out the apartment and plan to stay awhile longer.  Now that I have the house almost done, it's nice to think of staying in it.  The only real thing I did yesterday house repair speaking was scrub on the glass stovetop.  I bought the house with cooked on mess and tenant added to it.  I keep it clean but it was significant and honestly I thought beyond able to be cleaned up.  But I got about half of it off yesterday and it looks so much better.  These little things.   

And if I do stay, I think of the apartment - this is one reason I'm not super inspired yet since I don't know if I'm staying or going.  If staying, I need to replace the cabinets.  Probably the refrigerator (it's loud and beat up).  I would like to move my stove over there and get me a new one.  These are not super big projects but they will only happen if I'm staying, and that is TBD.  Of course I can paint the rest of the place and do all the other things, but ... I'll get to it. 

Speaking of, time to check off some items on the list.  Not crazy about the time change but I'll make the best of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment