Wednesday, November 2, 2022

and crash

Next step done with the realtor and then I crashed.  I've been working so hard for several weeks now and I needed an afternoon off, so I dragged myself on a couple of errands and then binged Netflix and junkfood.  Mostly the junkfood, honetly. I'm only halfway through one movie.  I keep stopping to do other things and it's apparently not really engaging me.

I don't know if my house will really sell in a timely manner for a price I can agree to.  The market is shaky and the realtor is frustrated with how flaky people are.  I don't want to play those flaky people games. New Orleans has always been the land of the flakiest people, but it's even worse now.  And flaky at all levels - like this article about how a high-ranking official just didn't do his job like at all, and he was making good money, and when he got canned/resigned he got another lucrative gig with someone who sure as shit should have known better but she lied about it.  Or how when I left work on Friday at the exact minute we close, I was the last person in the parking lot (except a kind young man who made sure I left safely).  The slacking is insane.  I'm frustrated with trying to give away free things because people flake.  Today I went to WalMart and instead of executing a transaction, both the cashier and customer were TEXTING while a long line was waiting.  LIke, hello?  Why do people act like this, as though they are the only person who matters, not people to whom they've made commitments.  

So.

In the next few weeks we'll list it for a price that we're just guessing at.  I have a gut feeling about the price, not sure why.  

I was upfront with her that I won't keep the house on the market for a long time - it's way too much stress.  This was after my dog had already been screaming nonstop through a closed door for an hour.  She said she may be interested in renting the apartment.  I think I'll have no problem renting that again.  I'll paint and clean thoroughly, and if I end up not selling I'll replace the kitchen cabinets and maybe stove (probably move mine in there and get a new one for me).  

***

One afternoon off and I'm already scheming plans to consume all my time and energy. What if ... I built the cabinets myself?  A guy I know from work told me that he did for his rentals, and it seems almost possible if I get a table saw (which I've been wanting) and a few other things.  I have a heap of workspace, so why not?  And while I'm ripping out cabinets and replacing appliances (the refrigerator works fine but it's beat up, probably 14 years old and likely not energy efficient, and super loud; if I replaced it with a slightly smaller one it would fit better in the space; the stove is looking beat up too and had an electrical issue a few years back wherein the burner wouldn't turn off; my quick-thinking tenant saved the day and got it repaired, but it would probably be best to replace it as it's also probably 14 years old and has seen better days) - why not try to replace the flooring?  

So one of the biggest problems with my house is unlevel flooring.  There are peaks and valleys in the tile flooring.  It was clearly installed that way after elevation and the house hasn't been settling (no tiles cracked, etc.), but it's a big problem for reselling the house.  Plus most people in America don't care much for cheap box store tile floors everywhere.  I talked to the same guy I know and he said I could rip out the tiles, put down some leveler, and install laminate flooring which can better take the unevenness.  Checking on-line confirms that especially thicker laminate.  Doing that would make my house much more sellable.  It's also NOT something I'm taking on now for my house - I promised the dog no more work for awhile and it's so stressful.  BUT what if I tried it out in the apartment to see how feasible it really is?  A much smaller contained space to play with.  And if it works well, I could do it in stages in my part of the house by moving furniture and perhaps myself into the apartment while that's done.  Honestly, replacing the flooring and getting it leveled would make a very significant difference in salability of this house.  

So what's sparking all this about major renovations?  Another interest rate hike expected today.  I thought I had until December until they did it again, I didn't expect it so soon.  I think it really prices many people out of purchasing housing.  Unless they've already got a rate lock (can you do that without a house identified?), it may be rough.  

Sigh. 

No comments:

Post a Comment