Tuesday, November 8, 2022

another day

 Today was not atypical.  Work, errands at lunch, come home to chores.  Today it was tackling my truck.  I tried to get a brake tag last week and failed, so I have a big fluorescent failure sign on my windshield which is shameful.  In Louisiana we have to pay $25 per year to have people check that our lights work properly.  Usually the people don't actually care, but I happened to arrive when a city inspector was there watching.  The young woman working approached my vehicle while snarling.  LIterally.  She had a grill on and while I usually pride myself on not responding to expressions, she had her lips rolled up in a way that signified aggression to me on a visceral level.  It turned out fine, obviously, but it got me wondering why she is adorned with something clearly not comfortable like that.  I love comfort, especially at work.  

And then they told me that I have two lights out, so I spent the weekend trying to figure out what to do. I started with buying bulbs, but as I went to change the bulb in the first one, there was no place for the bulb to go.  The socket had been fully ripped out of the attachment.  So I had to crawl under my vehicle to figure out WTF was going on.  IT was still there, dangling.  I need to go back with electrical tape to make sure it stays.  I found that the undercarriage attachment I installed several years ago to haul things is coming loose at some points so I'll need that fixed but I just tightened what wasn't missing.  Then I went to change the other light and I needed to confirm it was working, so I had to start my truck and put a brick on the pedal and push with rake and broom so that I could see.  I looked ridiculous.  I don't care.  Then I changed my windshield wipers which took some figuring out and I'm still not 100% it was correct so I'm keepng the pieces until it rains and I can try them, and then I checked my air filter and good grief when is the last time someone changed it?  Last time I did?   Don't they check those things during oil changes?  Why do I even go to a mechanic? 

Then my neighbor cornered me and wanted me to tell him all about medicinal plants and growing food.  Really?  I've been working on it forever and you never wanted to ask then?  

The house offer may not work out.  INsurance is super expensive.  For buyers to insure my house will cost over $6,000/year.  Almost twice what I pay so that's weird but they also have personal property of value.  That's so much money.  That plus hiked interest rates puts me in a bad spot as a seller.  I was telling a friend back west who said "well, there will be people with money."  The problem is that those people will go to other houses.  This is a modest home.  The times are making the modest home expensive.  But I have to really think about how much of a loss I'll take to leave. 

And tomorrow (yay, election day holiday) I have to call the gutter guy until he answers and comes fixes things.  And the insurance guy.  And crawl into the attic and remove debris.  And (start to) paint the apartment. And crawl around the garage to figure out why it's leaking.  And and and.  

I'm tired.  It just feels like there's never going to be an end to all this.  

No comments:

Post a Comment