I can expect a check from my insurance company for the rest of my roof repairs. It's reimbursement because I dug deep into my savings to make repairs, and it will be very nice to get some of that rainy day fund money back.
I've been waiting regarding Hurricane Ida for over a year, with so many glitches along the way. Now all that's left is the insulation debacle (the ceiling replacement guys didn't know what they were doing), and Ida is over for me. It felt like a lifetime but there are people in much worse shape than me now, so I get to feel grateful.
So many things to wait on and this was a big one. Another milestone hit not long ago was getting vested in work retirement program. Now I'm waiting on student loan completion (hopefully within the next month; I've been waiting since March) and licensing in another state. Waiting to hear back from jobs I interviewed for, waiting to see more good jobs posted that I can apply to. That's a lot of waiting for me since I like to be more in control of my own destiny.
Speaking of, yesterday I went to Costco and dropped some money on a complete Thanksgiving dinner = big turkey leg, mashed potatoes, green beans, cranberry sauce. All I have to do is heat it and most of the season's favorites are done with leftovers; plus there's a work dinner tomorrow so all my turkey needs will be met. I could of course have purchased the pieces and made it from scratch but I don't have time for that this weekend. I think some people expect me to host as I've done in the past and I'm not in that space; others expect me to invite myself and I'm not really that kind of person. People think of me as very self-contained, which I am, and that I have many different friends, which I do. But I don't have an invitation for Thanksgiving, and I realized I'm fine with that but I still like some of the food traditions but I also don't really want to make time to make things from scratch right now. So many people seem to be traveling away, visiting family, taking cruises, etc., but I just want to stay here and power through the work on the house to get ready for showings. I thought that my godson would be here and we'd go to a nice restaurant for Thanksgiving, but he dropped out of college so we converted that ticket to him going home.
I bought too much paint which always kills me because what a waste. I could have gotten a gallon less. Oof. And I had two cans of spray texture, but in opening the lids I broke the nozzle. I was sort of able to get one to work and actually did the best I've ever done with texture repairs, but it also made a big mess and Im frustrated that I spent like almost $40 for thing which break upon opening. I took the insulating blanket off the hot water heater because it was dirty and ratty and they actually don't make much difference since the heater is insulated anyway, but then I walk past the Energy information all the time that reminds me what an inefficient thing it is, so then I want to buy a new water heater and I found a great one with great price and rebates, but when I called the plumbing company to guesstimate installation costs they said starting at $1,300 and I might need to upgrade electricity and such. Ooof that's a lot for something before leaving.
Anyway, these are now the things consuming me. I have spent so much money on this house it feels like and I'm reluctant to do more but also I don't want little things to turn off a potential buyer. And also I feel torn about leaving because I put so much of me into this house. Like the loquat tree I planted six years ago to help give some shade to an exposed window that now is so fragrant and gives such wonderful fruit. Like all the backyard greens and bananas I took to work to share yesterday. LIke the native critters I encourage with my landscaping. It's such a great house in so many ways, it's just got funky quirks. But for the right people, it will be fantastic. Like it has been for us. Now I'll go do a lap around that big backyard and throw the ball for the crazy hound.
No comments:
Post a Comment