Sunday, November 20, 2022

slow

 I remember why I'm slow with painting - because haste makes waste, and because my hand cramps up.  When I try to push through, it starts getting sloppy, which ends up being more work. So, I take breaks.  

My poor right hand, which I used to tediously scrape all the popcorn texture off my previous New Orleans house.  It was sprayed over old plaster, with a rubbery paint on top of it. Sometimes it was fun to catch an end and pull off a lot, but mostly it was hours and days and weeks of me standing on a ladder with a scraper on the wall.  

And my hand has of course never recovered from this punishment.  

But it did pretty good today.  I'm not finished but I made good progress.  Ceilings done, first coat on walls in hallway and apartment.  Need to do a second coat, then trim, then tackle the kitchen.  Then probably I'm going to paint the cabinets.  I didn't want to but it's going to be the cheapest thing to do.  Hopefully I have enough time with the long weekend.  I can't take more days off the work to get it all done.  

I will probably never allow another tenant to paint an apartment because they have all done a crappy job that I have to fix (as much as possible; can't really get paint off the grout).  My job looks as good as a professional, or it will once I finish.  Better than some professionals.  I'm saving a lot of money doing this all myself.  I will need to consult with my neighbor on a couple things though (cabinet doors not closing, garage wall leaking).  

I need to wash the windows, spruce up garden beds, weed and such.  And I still need that insulation situation resolved.  But it's a different house from a year ago.

I watched Season 3 of Dead to Me and it was really touching and made me really miss my BFFs back west.  They're all older than me which sucks in terms of mortality.  I need to get there for the good years. 

No comments:

Post a Comment