Monday, February 14, 2022

boring financial pride

Feeling little control over my life in general, I lean into frugality to feel better.  Last month my total expenses - minus the extra money I paid on mortgage principal - was about $1,700.  If I were to get a roommate and cut back luxury purchases in food and miscellaneous (there were a couple kingcakes in there to share, baby gifts, GoFundMe contribution, a traffic ticket), I could get down to $1,000 per month.  That's without any large purchases required like car repairs*, and I keep the major house repairs separate because they are one-time and still paid for by insurance and then from a special savings account I have for this purpose.  

I wish I could get electricity consumption down but it peaks in winter - I have inefficient furnaces and water heaters that I don't plan to replace until they die; we're on two different units with my tenant and she keeps her apartment comfortable for her.  I keep my temperature at 58-60 in winter and 78-80 in summer.  If I got a roommate I'd have to be more reasonable.  I also wouldn't have any indoor storage if I got a roommate because that's the only real closet in the house, so it has become my hurricane prep locker (and vacuum and bedding, etc.).  

I withdrew from school hopefully in time to get a partial tuition reimbursement, and I'm returning all the books I just ordered.  I am expecting a large income tax refund soon.  My student loan is supposed to be starting up again with payments in May, but I'm hoping that it will be finished around then - at the latest in August (waiting on resolution of an issue). It has been wonderful to have no student loan payments the past couple of years; it's usually about $650/month which is nothing to sneeze at.  I do need to take care of health issues while I am employed where I am - it seems to be the best health insurance I've ever had.  They haven't required me to even pay a deductible.  So I really should get that shoulder issue looked at.  And the mammogram and pap and dentist and all the unpleasant things. 

This house deserves more credit than I give it - I've had it six years without any large expenses until now.  It was time to put money back into it.  When I left a few years ago and had roommate and cheaper house insurance, I was spending nothing on housing; then my tenants covered the mortgage and basic costs.  Plus I save money by growing food here in the large yards, and a safe place for the hound to run.  It's been a really good house for me in so many ways and I need to stop dissing it.  

I know that I need to make more money.  Before I can consider retirement I need a much fatter IRA and a paid off house not in a natural disaster zone.  I cannot be assured that I can live so cheaply forever - heck, quitting my job will immediately bump up my expenses for health insurance, and I absolutely must stay where I am until I vest for pension in about eight more months.  So I need to feel better about where I am.  

My anxiety levels are through the roof from pandemic and disaster and chaotic workplace.  But I need to remind myself how very very lucky I am.  And even if the only control I can feel sometimes is for being frugal, then that's ok. 


*I have had the same used pickup since 2002.  Though it does require repairs from time to time, it's a great vehicle.  Just not very fuel efficient, and if I were to bicycle to work that would reduce gas expenses.  Once the house repairs are done and I can get access to my bicycle again and don't need to rush home midday, I will commit to that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment