Sunday, February 15, 2026

just sit down for a minute

 The task I've handled the past 2.5 hours seems easy, but when I'm schlepping heavy containers and sweeping rooms and moving heavy tables, it makes this gringa tired!  

The former head motivator of the organization pulled me to the side afterwards and said how critical I already am to the work.  Honestly, the main thing I'm doing is using my guest room closet to stash agricultural matter to distribute.  Easy peasy.  and when I was asked if I could process about 100 pounds more into small containers for sharing, I suggested another gathering, and a place was found near to my home, and we had about 15 people show up and we mostly worked hard for two hours and we completely finished the task that was thought to need four hours.  I was nose to the grindstone, prepped in advance, gave clear instructions, offered support to the lost, and powered through.  I'm very glad it was all finished so that it's not on me to do alone.  (though one nice person offered to show up if I ever need help again, but she lives an hour away so I wouldn't want to ask unless really necessary)  Now all I have to do is schlepp those bins back into my closet.  (There's nothing suspicious at all about what we're doing, I'm just trying to not make it too easy to be doxxed or something)  

The guy I was sitting next to said, "This is the best time ever.  I am having so much fun."  He was on vacation visiting a friend who said, "Hey want to go help this task today?"  Yes.  And there are super knowledgeable people there who talk about all sorts of things which we listen in on, and we chit chat while we learn and do something we agree is helpful to future food production in a completely non-commercial setting.  All volunteers just coming together to pitch in.  My kind of jam.  So to be recognized, though really it's just about me having more space than other people, it's nice to be seen.  Most people there are living in much less spacious digs - a lot of counterculture folks, in commune type living arrangements, show up.  Some people come from rural areas and have lots of barns, but we can't store things in there - really it needs to be in a house.  And I have way more house than I have stuff, so it works well.  My house is only about 1200 square feet but it's too much house for me, honestly.  

 One more thing - someone brought a pie, and I took a small sliver and tasted it and then threw away the rest and spit out what I tasted.  Of course I didn't let the person see, but it was not worth the calories, so trash it goes.   

Anyway, now I'm just sitting down for half an hour or so and then I really need to go spend an hour in the front yard picking up trash and weeding and probably moving some mulch.  It's not pouring rain now but it's supposed to tomorrow.  Yay for tomorrow being a holiday.  Maybe I'll just push all my cleaning and cooking until then, because I'm tired and I'm about to be even more tired. 

**

OK, weeding and trash picking up, done.  Yay.  I'll move mulch another day. 

My dog just gave me an air kiss, which is one my favorite things about her.  She was sniffing my face and wanted to show approval of me but knows I do not want her tongue anywhere near my face, so she pretends like she's licking me to show bonding to me but doesn't make contact.  It's a pretty advanced move.  She's a very smart dog.  

OK, I have minestrone to eat so I should do that.  And I should start the pot of black beans that's been soaking to simmer.  I intend to eat some big cheesy bean burritos for sure.  Yum.   

 

No comments:

Post a Comment