I cannot speak highly enough about the The True True Story of Raja the Gullible (and His Mother). It is SO GOOD. Please everyone go read it and report back here. I love everything about it. And usually the endings of books suck but the layered ending of this book did NOT disappoint. I would love to see it as a movie if it was done right, which would be hard.
So, I think i can safely say that I'm over the anti-reading hump, which is quite a relief. BUT, I'm very particular. If something doesn't grab me, it gets returned to the library.
I'm also very particular about food, and I'm not quite sure what to think of the massive purple cabbage quinoa salad I made. I had to doctor it up quite a bit. I think it's good now. My gut was quite happy - there was cabbage, three herbs, onion, garlic, quinoa, nuts, dates, spices. Lots of plant matter to diversify my gut biome. And I ate it with a piece of wholegrain sourdough spread with sardines.
Jack Schlossberg says he eats a can of sardines a day and I want to know more! I ate it kind of like Mila Kunis said she likes it (on dark bread with butter, onions, and lemon juice), and it was ok. Sardines just seem like the perfect food for me and i just can't get excited about them but I'll keep trying.
I'm not keeping track of all the plants I'm eating each week anymore - I'm averaging well over 40 a week. I've always been an A+ student, and that's how I am with my orthorexia as well.
I'm so bummed about returning to work tomorrow, but I did finally tune my brain off from work which is great. I got almost every single chore done that I wanted to get done - only three still on the list. Quilt, which I still have time to do (it's 8 pm), put on the warm compress to unclog the oil glands on my eyes (which I can still do), and make a sweet potato pie (no added sugar, whole grain crust). But I did bake the sweet potatoes, so tomorrow i can just whiz them up in the food processor with the other ingredients, roll out the pie crust that's thawed, and bake it. I plan to freeze the slices for special treat days so we'll see how well that works.
Just made cocoa with maybe 3/4 tsp sugar - hope that's not enough to keep me awake, or the caffeine in the cocoa. The warm milk should help sleepiness? I'd like to go to sleep earlier and wake up earlier. Maybe start my workday around 7 am, get things done before everyone else logs on. But also, I'd really like to convince myself that everything is not my responsibility. I just realized how much I'm covering for other people this week, and it's every single day. It's doubling my workload. Though honestly, I don't mind the coverage, because they all cover for me. It's doing everyone else's work that's making me crazy. Stop. It.
Did about five loads of laundry (was it four? I think five) of all the bedding, pillows, duvet, covers, etc., plus weekend clothes, plus dirty rags. I save them up for a load. I use rags for so many cleaning things, including the floors I cleaned today. I did some moderate cleaning - more than a superficial clean, not to a deep. And now I'm going to break down my spending recently. I'm sure I'm overspent on food. I think this may just be a week in which I'm overspent. I sure wanted those fresh herbs, even if I didn't *need* them. And those kumquats. And this weekend I'm going to spend a heap on fresh vegetables locally grown. And I will have no regrets, because I will use it all up and enjoy it.
Have been realizing that I wish I pushed more on my bathroom renovation. There's this quarter round trim around the vanity which I really hate - the nailholes show and the caulk is crappy. If I'd insisted on the flooring going under the vanity, then they never would have had the trim added. Also, if I'd insisted on roll out linoleum like I used in my kitchen and love, instead of the LVP they urged, I'd have been much happier. Sigh. I know that they didn't earn much money on it - they were definitely discounting me hard, especially when I demanded the kitchen be completely retiled. And oy vey I'm SOOOO glad I demanded that. It looked so horrible, and now it looks great. I was so tired at the end of all the renovations that I just wanted them gone, but now I have these things I really hate. It's probably something that would bother anyone else, but I see it every time I sit on the toilet. It really bothers me and I don't know how to fix it. Maybe I could remove all the caulk, fill the holes with the correct substance, then paint the trim (taping will be a bitch). I'm also not crazy about the color I chose. The bathroom looks SO MUCH BETTER than when I moved in, but it feels cheap. And of course, it was cheap, comparatively speaking, though the plumbers were fucking expensive and I'm not sure they did a great job, and the electricians were also super expensive.
ANYWAY.
I was just going down a rabbit hole on buying a sauna again and I realized that I don't have near the amount of pain when I was really digging into buying a sauna a year or two ago. So that's a big deal. I'd still quite like a sauna but I probably wouldn't really use it.
OK, bedtime. Another week of work ahead. Sigh.
I have just put "The True True Story..." on hold as an audiobook from my library. They don't seem to have a hard copy. How odd. Looks to be a twelve week wait but that's fine. Thank you!
ReplyDeleteHave you tried the sardines in mustard? I like those better than the plain ones.
Thank you! I look forward to hearing what you think! That is odd that they have no hard copy, though it was published only a few months ago and I know there was an issue with the distributor shutting down for libraries, but I hope they get a hard copy. I'm returning my today though it's not due for a couple of weeks because I want the next person to get it early. It's that good! (They own 4 copies, and there are 30 people waiting)
DeleteI haven't tried sardines in mustard but I"ll find them. I get them at Costco where they are so inexpensive, which is one of the benefits. thanks!