The cabinet above my refrigerator has had crooked doors since I installed it, and honestly I was so tired of the project by the time we did that cabinet - which is so fucking heavy and awkward - that I put off dealing with it.
After almost a year, yesterday was the day. First coat of paint dryish, and in I went. And i made it So Much Worse. It was awful - left door tilting one way and the right the other - very crooked and akimbo with huge gaps.
I called for reinforcements and Friend headed over. She made it even worse. So I started to problem solve what I would need to replace. We took a level to the surfaces and holes and couldn't figure out the problem.
"You know, that cover panel to the left is slanted because the ceiling - remember when we put that in?" "Yeah, maybe if the doors weren't lined up to that ..." "Yeah, I tried that." "Yeah, me too." "Well, I can always try it again." And sure as shit, it's slightly better than we started and we're declaring it Good Enough.
This kitchen was very clearly installed by elderly amateurs with arthritis and bursitis, but it still looks fucking good. I am proud of this work that we did.
So, I'll need to scribe and install cover panels as the next step, and then I can move the fridge back and call that area done. I do not know how to scribe but there are videos on that and Friend has a compass I can borrow.
I still am completely confused by the filler strips and how I am to do that, but I'll figure it out, and there are steps before that. Today: any touch-up paint and then thorough clean up and get my kitchen back thank goodness. But first I need to get the house ready for the electrician to install an outlet behind my toilet, yay!
No comments:
Post a Comment