Saturday, January 15, 2022

fairness thoughts on a Saturday

 I don't want to talk about work, or think about it when I'm not there, but this is too much.  A man was just hired to do the same job as a woman - his workload is half what hers is and he is paid more.  

Of course this happens but ... I just didn't think it would happen so blatantly NOW.  Like, have we not learned ANYTHING about equality.

And now I don't know what to do with this information.  It's only going to get me into trouble.  

I sometimes have a very childlike view of fairness.  It frankly riles me up more than almost anything.  I never accepted the shrug: "Well, life's not fair." No, but that's not right, and we should work to improve that.  And that has been frankly the entire trajectory of my life, trying to level playing fields through education and other opportunities.  So these little biases get me too.  Because they're also bigger biases - women paid less than men. 

Adding it to the list of wrongs that I wish I could let go but will likely explode at some point.  

Last night I took the cleavers spring tonic and within an hour I was feeling its power.  It cleaned me all the way out.  But that discomfort probably lasted no more than 15 minutes and then i was fine and then i had the best night of sleep I've had in FOREVER.  Worth it?  Yeah. Though I'll try a smaller dose next time.  

Today's supposed to be a bit warmer (upper 60s) and maybe rain at some point, so I need to get working while I can.  The next two days are set to be colder (40s) and it's not a lot of fun for me to be on my knees pulling oxalis when it's that cold.  I have Monday off thank goodness and a lot of studying to do and I really need to push my advisor to move forward and get exams rolling.  So I have to get all my ducks in a row.  There's of course the usual weekend activities of cooking and cleaning.  Making yogurt, baking sourdough bread, all that.  These things take time but I've done them so much that they're habits and easy to integrate with other activities.  REad a chapter, do a stretch and fold.  Clean the kitchen, get the milk to 180 degrees.  I bought some local milk at the farmers market that I'm excited about.  It's the little things.  I just always like the taste of my yogurt and bread better than anything I can afford in a store.

Trying to decide what to do about my curb strip.  It's large and weedy.  Do I want to keep it for food production as I'm doing now with raised beds, or do I want to move those beds to the back and convert it to native plants like the rest of the front yard?  Maybe put in a couple of native trees and some other things like that?  It's just a lot of work to do.  I could sheet mulch with cardboard, but the ground is already above the sidewalk level so dirt washes onto sidewalk and I either need borders or I need to make the ground lower.  I don't frankly want to pay money for borders and I also frankly don't want to dig up so much.  So, that's where I am, with a mowed weedy patch with two raised beds with some beautiful beets I'm going to cook up this weekend (and can what I don't eat).  There is zero doubt that digging in the dirt is good for me, even when I'm buried in academia.  Maybe especially when buried in academia.

Speaking of good for me, I did bicycle to work yesterday and ... man it felt like it was going to kill me.  I'm so out of shape.  It's less than four miles one way but it was hell both ways.  But I did it.  And I need to keep doing it.  Good exercise, good role modeling of my values, and saves gas.  Winning all around.  I plan to do it again on Tuesday if the weather holds.  And I want to prove my commitment to it and get gear to allow me to do it even when the weather isn't so great - but I'm not dropping money on rainpaints and panniers until I've gotten that proof.  I've already dropped over $400 on bicycle, basket, and helmet, so I need to get my money's worth.  

Well, the dog knows it's Saturday and sure does want a walk, so off we go.  It's going to be a good weekend.  Thank you for everything, Dr. King.

No comments:

Post a Comment