Friday, November 5, 2021

patronage system

 This city is not a system based on having the most competent people in roles.  It's nearly purely a patronage system.  Entire shuffling of systems happens with each regime change, whether government or organization.  And so the negative of this is that there are incredibly incompetent people in important roles and our city doesn't really function properly.  Our water system, garbage system, electrical system - they all shut down so easily and barely work when running. And so many other systems.

But what does work is patronage, as I was reminded today.  Two important people looking out for me literally fed me today and gave me a substantial raise, making it work even when it can't work.  It's not fraud, it's an above board shuffling around of funds, but it's still a favor.  And i was reminded of what is expected of me - loyalty and favors not yet defined.  "You know I'll look out for you," said my new patroness.  

OK, now I know.  

I didn't grow up in a system like this, not at all. I believed the myth of the meritocracy.  But I fell in love with this place and have learned its ways.  

I don't have any idea why I'm successful here.  I don't walk any walk or talk any talk.  I will never go shady on ethics, at all.  But I do make people look good - I stay behind the scenes and make things work that they can't do.  I'm a little bit superhuman in my execution, how I can juggle so many things and make it all work.  It's how I survive. Because the people I make look good in turn look out for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment