I went to the house of a former coworker and had a lovely time with her, her husband, and another friend of hers. The food was good as was the company. She's a very good hostess, as I knew her to be, and it was really nice to catch up which we've been trying to do for months.
They are also moving away soon. Like my other friends, they have stayed here to care for elderly relatives, who have now passed away and they are free to move - the only question for all of us is to where.
I realize now too that most of my favorite New Orleans people have left. Many of the closest heart friends - they're gone. I am always so thrilled when they come to visit, but they're not here. And of course others have passed away. This isn't the same place for me as in years past.
It is possible to make friends with new people, but ... why. Also, they are annoying - when I got back and had the time, I spent a lot more time with people and I like all those people a lot better when we spend less time together. Road trips don't always bring out the best.
Much about my leaving timeline will depend on the housing market - this house probably won't be very easy to sell because it's weird. But that's ok. I knew 5hat when I bought it. It's still a good house. And there's a year and a half at least until I can leave (2 year ownership/occupancy tax rule). Then we'll head west and Ziggy can snuggle with her auntie.
I need to buckle down on some health things - more stretching, more movement, more vegetables. I'm feeling the need from within so hopefully that will be he necessary pressure. I've been missing the previous two places I worked where we would take walks to talk shop, and I could start that up where I am perhaps.
So I am off work again today, in a delightful four day weekend. It was kicked off with such a lovely day and the only bummer for the rest is that the carpenters will be here today and tomorrow. They'll be in the way if I try to do work, and I have to keep the dog contained in the house because the gates are open. Oh well. I'll make the most of it. And I woke up before 5 this morning so I may take the dog out for a walk shortly in the dark and hope for the best. I have milk on the stovetop to make yogurt, and I may try to take my truck to the shop for oil change, and then I plan to can sweet potatoes. Simmer collards, roast squash. Clean the house. Move a few plants I realized are misplaced. Fill in some garden bed gaps, lay some mulch. Maybe start some sourdough. It's a chilly day which is perfect for me to work.
It's going to be another good day, as days off work always are.
No comments:
Post a Comment