Sunday, March 29, 2026

taking offense

 When I stopped on the way back from dog walk to my 2nd favorite store in town to pick up green onions and half and half and kumquats, the fellow gave me a senior discount.  We didn't discuss it or anything, I just noticed it pop up after my credit card had run through.    

I was so struck that I just called the store and confirmed that yes, I am eight years away from qualifying.

If this isn't damning evidence of my poor health, I don't know what is.  Sheesh.  I mean obviously the cashier could have just been feeling generous, and I definitely do arrive in very shoddy clothing and look poor because I'm going to wear out these exercise clothes until they are just threads and I'm coming from a dog walk.  But it's still astounding and yes, I'm offended.  I mean ... not so offended that I'm going back to the store and demanding that they take back their 54 cents ... but, yes.   

Dog walk was fine, no dogs in sight, so no drama.  It's in the low to mid 50s with cloud cover, which is perfect for me and the dog.  I'm now enjoying a lentil-potato burrito, realizing yet again that I need to make my own tortillas, I just find it hard to roll them out well.  It would be healthier and cheaper to make them from scratch, but here we are.  I have been seeing FB reels and such about making my own tofu and I just do not have the bandwidth for that now.  I made yogurt last night, I'll bake sourdough next weekend, I cook everything from scratch and grow and preserve much of my own food.  I do not have the bandwidth to take on making my own tofu at this point.  When retired, yes, certainly.  

One thing that makes it more possible to move to a small town without all the healthfood stores like I enjoy now is Azure Standard. which has drops nearly everywhere it seems.  I learned about it in rural communities and also ordered while in New Orleans, and it's kind of a funky thing and not really cheap, but it's still a good source of soybeans and various other things that can be hard to source.  I've spent a lot of my life without access to the sort of specialized things I like now (four kinds of lentils!  All day, every day!), but there are now workarounds like Azure. 

**

So, the neighborhood potluck was nice.  It was a small group this time, they plan to grow it.  glad I got to be in it from the beginning.  They're thinking monthly, and I'm down for that.  It was mostly nice to hang with the person I talk to through the fence, and to meet their dog in person, and to bribe that dog to not be so mad at me all the time through the fence.  She seemed to like me, but when they told me that the dog tends to bite older women, I kept my distance.  What with the senior discount and all.  The food was pretty good and people appreciated my last squash.  I ate too many cheese biscuits.  

and then in a serendipitous moment, as I approached my front door I heard someone call my name.  Someone I know from work recognized me from the distance, and I got to meet her baby.  Can't believe she's been gone from work so long, but that baby is really stinking cute, so smiley.  He's approaching six months and the first food they're going to feed him is bone marrow.  First time I'd heard of that - I'm used to hearing about rice cereal and things like that.  Learn something new every day.  

So, some days, I feel a little web of connection, which is nice.

Still not ready to go back to work though.  

No comments:

Post a Comment