Thursday, February 12, 2026

time

 In my job, we have to record how our time is spent, which project to bill to.  When I started, some people said it was hard to meet the required hours, so i've been diligent about recording my time from the get-go.  Plus, I've worked a lot of extra hours.  So I've always been well over the minimum required.  But I was in a conversation about that requirement, and it got me thinking, so I did some math. 

If I take out all the days that I'm not working (or shouldn't be), the holidays, vacation time earned, maybe a couple of sick days ... I have to record 7.3 hours to a particular project Every Single Workday.  That is nuts.  I work 8-5, and I'm supposed to have an hour lunch and two fifteen minute breaks each day (none of which do I ever actually take BUT I SHOULD), which means if I'm working a full-time day without any other break, I record 7.5 hours.  What about when I want to catch up with a coworker about a not work related conversation?  Or have a doctor's appointment, or take a long lunch?  Every staff meeting or IT lesson or other task that is required which can't be recorded to a project - it all means that I have to work more than an 8 hour day to make up the time.  And of course I don't earn any overtime, I'm salary.  And it's not easy work - it's often really demanding, incredibly mentally taxing - probably the hardest job I've ever done.  

Look, I make good money.  I'm making 3.5 times what I was making in New Orleans, far more than I've ever made before (which is all going to paying off a far too expensive mortgage).  I know I shouldn't bitch.  BUT ... this forcing of long workweeks is tough, I'll be honest.  Recording 7.3 hours per day of work sounds easy peasy, but it's a grind.  If I record 7.3 hours, then I have to actually work considerably more.  When I started, I didn't understand why everyone just locks themselves in their offices and works works works works.  It's the protestant work ethic at its worst - isolating, exhausting.  I was coming from New Orleans where much of our day was spent in conversation with each other.  I'm not an extrovert but I learned the values of community in Louisiana, so coming here was shocking.  

And of course what's funny is that this is coming to light when I'm actually NOT crazy busy.  I engineered into my calendar a little bit of a slow patch after a big project, and things will kick up again soon but I know now to try to give myself a little recovery time, not just bam bam bam.  And having that time means I can see how crazy being a wage slave is.  To have so little control over my time is draining.   

And now another workday begins.   

No comments:

Post a Comment