Had sardines again for breakfast and I think I'm getting to the "they're not so bad" phase. Actually I rather enjoyed them today. I toasted whole grain (wheat and rye) sourdough (which tbh honest is a little gummy I think because underproofed because I was in a hurry, but there's that German dark bread that's gummy and so I just think of this as being like that) and then followed the Mila Kunis method. Not that I'm some huge fan of hers or anything, but I saw a little clip of her with Jimmy Kimmel where she talked about this and it seems to be good. On the dark bread, a thin layer of butter. Then spread sardines (for me, half a tin, mashed a bit) and add thinly sliced onion and lemon juice. I also add some fermented pickle which is a nice addition. Red onions would be nicer but I just use what I have (yellow). Not sure I need the butter, could just be sardines and pickle on dark bread probably.
Sardines are kind of a joke, like anchovies are. "Don't put on anchovies on the pizza!" is a common refrain, but anchovies are a fantastic umami bomb. And I definitely like tuna, and sardines are a little milder I think than tuna. There was a sitcom recently with Damon Wayans father and son, and one of the things I liked was Sr.'s oft-repeated comments about his diabetes. Sometimes it was a joke but a lot of times not, just like a who the fuck would eat doughnuts like that kind of thing - which is healthy questioning of an unhealthy society's norms. And he always wanted sardines. And a young politician was recently talking about eating sardines every day. Eating them for breakfast like this is considerably healthier than the cheese toast I often eat for breakfast - I need fat to not be hungry immediately, and cheese is the quick fix for that. But why not sardines?
We'll see how this goes.
We got the walk in this morning though it was raining pretty hard. So hard that the dog refused to go outside until I had her leashed up to get in the car, so she probably hadn't been outside for like 14 hours. Stopped by Friend's house to drop off lentil-barley soup and a squash. She is sick, and who feels like cooking while they're sick? Not me for sure.
Still feeling good, I got seeds started. Peppers, sorrel, greens, alliums. Three trays worth, which I put into a clear bin on my table near the window. Probably not warm enough in my house to be peak germination, but we'll see. The pots are reusable silicon that I got on clearance, and the potting soil was on clearance a couple of years ago. I can probably uplevel everything but here I am and it's fine. Once they germinate, I may move them onto a rack with a light. Maybe. We'll see. This isn't something I particularly enjoy doing - I much prefer just tossing seeds around outside and seeing what grows.
So far just emailing for work and not a meeting, but I'm sure it's coming. Sigh.
Oh damn, I meant to start the perennial kale and I forgot. Oh well. Next weekend I'll plant some more seeds.
OK, what else today to do. Laundry for sure, shower, cook for today and prep for tomorrow. Quilt, read. Boom, that's a relaxing Sunday but for the job. It's ok, I don't have to do this job work every weekend, just sometimes. And I'm paid well. I really think that if the stock market doesn't tank, and I don't have any emergencies, that I'll be able to fully retire in three years. That's a looooong time in my shitty job, and I'm only halfway there, but I should be positioned to be ok and not have to try to get a new job, which will also annoy me. If I have an exit date, I should be able to survive.
My Mother used to make sardines on toast for our weekend breakfasts... loved them!!
ReplyDeleteThat's lovely, I may adopt that!
Delete