So, the maps are a lie and there is no good bike path to the place where I wanted to buy cottage cheese. I had to be visible to automobiles almost the whole way and I do not care for that. I was biking to a super busy and huge strip mall in what is essentially the suburbs (not really in terms of not being far, but suburban commercial sprawl) and had to deal with cars in the parking lots which really sucked, and then some suuuuuper long waiting for ped xing lights where there were all these major thoroughfare intersections. So, definitely NOT my favorite bike errand BUT I got the cottage cheese. I checked for the capers as I always do, and staff person was super helpful with looking it up, telling me I can call to check instead of having to go all the way there to look, etc. (I reported her to a manager for being amazing.) A large anchor store just (like this weekend) moved in right next door and I am displeased because it was a shitshow to park there earlier, and now it's even worse. And these were both businesses I frequent, but I don't want to drive there anymore, and biking wasn't exactly fun. Not fun in terms of not on a pretty path, but it was fun in terms of being a bicycle warrior. Let people see me. I'm a very successful professional making a good living who owns two automobiles including one bought brand new not long ago (though I do drive it less than 3,000 miles per year so I doubt my life choices - I bought it because it sounded like I'd have to drive long distances for work, and then they changed their minds), and I am choosing to ride around on a budget cruiser instead of drive. No fancy gear or expensive bike, I paid about $400 about six years ago for the bike, everything included and I have gotten hundreds of miles from that bike. And I will continue to ride it until it goes no more. (The last bike I had in this town was one I brought with me on Greyhound or Amtrak from New Mexico, that my aunt had. I rode that thing SO MUCH (I had no car), and then learned that the main metal tube was cracked and I just kept going. It didn't break on me, and then when I moved away I gifted it with the warning, and hopefully it gave more safe miles.)
On, and bonus, I got a big bag of used coffee grounds for composting. Then I went to the farmers market and got almost everything I meant to get (leeks, carrots, potatoes), and it wasn't cheap but the person there was also super nice. so maybe the key to having people, at least young women, being nice to me is keeping my neon green bike helmet and ear warmer band on while I'm shopping and looking ridiculous.
Just talked to my neighbor over the fence, and possums have been killing their chickens. Well, that changes my calculus and next time I may help the dog kill the possum.
Got most of my front yard chores done, all the front yard plants in the ground plus some (I took some cuttings that I just stuck into the ground and maybe something will grow). I also cut back a large bin of last years annuals because I see this year's annuals starting and last year I waited too long to cut back and it was a mess. Sorry, whoever is using those old seeds and such, but you had a good run. I look forward to seeing what is going to grow back this spring. I thought things would be more filled in now, but I am a very neglectful gardener so it's not that surprising to have mortality. I'm second guessing myself about waiting until October to plant the three plants I really like - seeing two of them my yard in another section made me really want them. They're evergreen, which is nice in a large yard of deciduous. I may put that back on my to-do list. It's a bit of an unpleasant drive out to the plant nursery and I don't know of another good source for them.
So yeah, a quite productive day and my body is sore. Time to shower, some cleaning, and then curl up with a good book or maybe watch a movie. I've been wanting to watch Sinners, today could be the day.
I am horrified by the attack on Iran and fear for the future. Fucking assholes who are doing this.
Possums are definitely not the chicken owner's friend.
ReplyDelete