I needed to be at work this morning and I couldn't find my gloves and headband (to keep my ears warm) ANYWHERE. Fuck it, I said, and I thought about getting in my car but then I jumped on my bike and rode in the 34 degrees without gloves or ear protection and I survived. It felt colder on the ride home a few hours later, honestly, and I stopped at the library for another book. It was breezy and cold. Not a fan. But I'm so glad I biked to work. I'm so glad that's my default whenever possible.
True story: the gear is actually where it should be. I just didn't remember putting it away there and so I looked everywhere BUT there. Silly me.
I tried to leave work early today but then was invited to a meeting. Clearly I was an afterthought but I still made time because they needed me even more than they realized. They do not thank me enough. I go above and beyond all the time, and most people just take me for granted. That's frustrating. Fuck 'em. I won't be doing this forever, and I'm pulling bank. That's actually probably why they don't thank me - they think the paycheck does. But I will say it's pretty damn funny how much trouble I got into for not appreciating people constantly for just doing the minimum level of their job, when I'm going above and beyond without a single word of gratitude. I'm tired of the shit stopping with me. It's not forever ... it's not forever ... it's not forever ...
OK, thinking of later this year ... I think that I may not freeze more peaches. I'm not enjoying them as much as last year. Canning is fine though - I can them in a mix of juice and water. Only water bleaches out the taste, I think. No sugar, but just some juice to keep the flavor is good. I do a mix of apple and white grape juice. They turned out pretty good. This is the only time that I consume juice (not the whole fruit), so it's ok.
I still shouldn't probably pick any more blueberries - I'm still working on from 2024. I just don't care for them that much. Strawberries are what I really like. But I still have pounds of apples in my fridge that I need to eat. I do eat them, just not every day. And of course I have a ton of dried fruit to eat. It's not something that I overeat - I'll eat a few pieces of it here and there when I want something sweet. No large consumption of it. I have a quart jar of dried pears that's been in my fridge for months and it's only starting to get low now. I have a ton in my freezer.
I think I may put in a plum tree and keep removing the purple plums that I don't really like much. I may also put in a quince tree. There was one more I was thinking of - oh, Asian pear. They grow really well here. I just don't really care for them so maybe I need to try more of them.
I wish I could find grits somewhere. I do like a big pot of cheesey grits with greens from time to time. It's been years. I'm sure I could order them but I'm bummed they aren't in the bulk foods I frequent. I'm nicely underspent on food for this month, so if I have the energy tomorrow or Saturday I may go to Costco and get almonds, peanut butter, cacao, and dog treats. Though ... I could get all those things at my bulk store, and the peanut butter would be fresh. Hm. I do like Costco; it's not like Whole Foods or some nasty big chain. I want to support my small local grocery/distributor. It's a nice bike ride there rather than a gallon of gas to Costco. Hm. OK, I'll just admit it, I like Costco. Not when it's over packed, but on most days, it's fun to walk through and see things. Also, I could just make dog treats again like I used to. Sourdough with sardines and squash? She'd love it.
No comments:
Post a Comment