We worked on the woodshed today and holy fuck that was exhausting. All the hauling around of heavy things, the cutting, the figuring, the holding, the screwing in of lag bolts - all the things. I walked over 13,000 steps today, and my feet are killing me. Worst I've felt in awhile.
Maybe that pain is amplified from the junk food. That trend continued today with fish and chips for lunch. funny how my glucose didn't spike at all from that meal, though of course it wasn't healthy at all.
I finally called it quits after two hailstorms and as it was getting dark. Friend really wanted to finish all the posts, but I have concerns about how true they are and if they have to be redone, and I didn't want to fuss further. I hope they'll be fine. Once we finish the posts, the next steps are easy peasy - just a lot of cuts and screwing ons. No more lag bolts or 60# posts to manage, just a heap of 2x4s. I ordered the roofing on-line because they had it already cut to length so that saved me the hassle of transporting too-long sheets and of having to buy and figure out the right blade for the saw. I'm still not 100% how I'll make the roof work, but I'll give it a go. I'll get the materials in a couple of weeks, so that will be good timing to finish it all up. Then I'll be able to move the firewood and do the native bulb planting hopefully by the end of January, which I think will still be ok. And then I'll be able to turn my attention to what I'm going to plant in the garden this year and then building up soil to do so. This year's beds are full of fava beans and garlic, which I can't harvest until mid-summer, so I'll need to put in new plots for cabbage and greens and beans and all the things.
This morning I was making yogurt, as I do every two weeks or so, and I was thinking about the routines. How tedious it can be, all these things that have to be done over and over and over. The laundry, the cooking, the dishes, the sourdough making, the yogurt making, the cleaning. And the larger routines over seasons, like gardening. And while these routines can be so tedious, they may also be the skeleton upon which our muscles and flesh are held up.
No comments:
Post a Comment