I have a very strong need for the satisfaction that comes from a job well done, or at least finished. I'm not a perfectionist and I don't get hung up on things being perfect - I want them done good enough. My good enough is probably higher than most people, but it's still usually a reasonable standard.
With some work projects winding up and new ones not yet launched, I'm able to focus back on my home. I just put in a very large hardy kiwi. Frankly I didn't do a great job - it was simply too heavy for me to move around much. I didn't dig a deep enough hole so I've mounded soil and mulch and it's just going to have to be ok because I'm leaning on the "hardy" part of its name. This was free from a neighbor, in a pot, several years old, and heavy AF. Probably about 80 pounds, based on my inability to handle it. But it's in the ground now and it can put roots down and grow. I put it at the far end of my grape arbor, and we'll see how things go. These things grow monstrously here so I need a strong support. I have thoughts of how to train it to be manageable, but we'll see. I do love a good kiwi, so I'm excited to see if it produces. I also go the male in but that was a snap. That is added to my grapes, pears, apples, two types of plums, persimmons, berries. I like my little food producing city lot. Just yesterday I made dinner including an apple and dried plums from my backyard. Good food is good. I've got squash canning right now - it was lovely kuri squash and I cooked half for dinner but it was quite large and unsure what to do with the other half, I threw it in the canner. I can use it for feeding the dog, muffins, other things I'm sure. I could freeze it but I'm trying to clear out my freezer right now, and I have plenty of space for canned goods in my mudroom, and plenty of jars and lids.
I think I've finished mudding the kitchen repairs. They will not be perfect, and if somebody is fussy and looks at the corners they will be dismayed, but if that somebody is that dismayed then they can fix it themselves. I've sponged it and now when it's fully dried, I'll finish masking up the kitchen and then prime, and when it dries I'll spray texture, and then prime again. Then I'll paint twice. That'll take a while as there are quite a few other spots to touch up. Then I have some caulking to do, probably some ceiling paint touchup. Then that piece of the project will be finished, and on to the next piece. I'm definitely getting heavy into it - the electrician comes Monday, the insulation installer on Thursday; the following Monday is the quartz countertop templater, and the Monday after that the bathroom remodel is set to begin. It's exciting to finally be approaching this stage.
One of the issues I'm having is finding things. Normally I have things organized and labeled, but because I kept pushing these repairs to later, I left the necessary supplies in places that I wouldn't expect. I think I give up and am going to just go get a new paint roller. And probably caulk. I am SO looking forward to getting the insulation done so I can put things away - from the empty crates I plan to store in the attic now that I have a ladder, to installing pegboard where tools can be easily visible and accessible, to organizing the space left behind by the empty crates to organize repair supplies, to unstacking all the crap I shoved out of the garage into the shop so that it doesn't get in the way of insulators - I'm just excited. And then when the bathroom remodel is done and I have my 2nd car garage open again and not blocked with vanity, toilet, etc. etc. I'm just really really excited for the next six weeks or so to be done.
Oh, maybe I'll bike to the store to buy a paint roller. That'll make me feel better about the annoyance. There was a little blue in the sky so I made sure to enjoy it by digging big holes; now it's cloudy and seems likely to rain but hopefully not too bad. As soon as my pressure canner is ready to have jars removed, I can take off to do that. Success, not driving my car. I can mostly avoid all roads to get there, there is just a pretty steep bridge that I struggle with so downshift and go very slowly. But that's ok. If anyone wants to judge my lack of biking strength, fuck em. And then I'll be back in time to start sourdough to bake tomorrow.
Not looking forward to weighing myself tomorrow - on Wednesday I was super active and then on Thursday I was super hungry, so I ended up getting chicken chow mein, and then yesterday a colleague from Italy gave me a mini panettone and I ate it. It was like 23 grams of sugar (22.8 actually) and I still ate the damn thing. And I enjoyed it. So I've still been pretty moderate about my sugar intake but it's been a lot more than usual, and I anticipate that will be reflected on the scale.
My dog is going through a very needy time and it's a lot. She's interrupting me now, demanding constant petting.
No comments:
Post a Comment