Thursday, August 3, 2023

keep or replace

 I'm asking that question over and over again as I make this house my home.

Kitchen cabinets, custom-made from wood. My first thought was to upgrade hardware, maybe paint like I did at last house.  But then I realized if I ever want a full-size fridge I have to change kitchen layout.  So, Ikea cabinets it will be.  I'd love to reduce the size of the window but that's probably more work than I need to do.  

Bathroom cabinet - this I actually like and the solid wood again is so solid.  But it's low. For some reason it was installed about three inches lower than a normal vanity.  PLus, the tile behind it is in really bad shape.  So, I'll probably gut and replace.  The problem is how hard it is for me to want to replace real wood with MDF.  I do not like that.  Maybe I need to upscale my options.

Flooring.  The hardwood floor throughout most the house is fantastic and I love it.  The remaining lineoleum is just in bathroom, kitchen, and mudroom.  TBH, I don't hate them, but I won't want to redo them later after other installations. 

Appliances.  Yeah, these all have to get upgraded.  They're like 20 years old. They work and I'll rehome them, but I'm gong to live the fancy-fancy life with Electrolux washer and Bosch refrigerator.  I need to be realistic abut my timelines since I plan to not hire for most of the work - I work A LOT, and Friend and I only have one day off a week the same.  So timelines will be long.  But I can still start, and I'm eyeing that mudroom.

So then mudroom shelves which is really where I am today.  Rip out the solid wooden shelves and replace?  Or fix what's there?  One door has a big piece cut out of it (why?  Not idea) and the hinges are screwy.  So if I want to just replace that door, or both doors to ensure they match, I would need a way to round the edges which means buying a router table, it seems.  I'd look for other options like maybe there's a maker space here or a neighbor who would let me run some doors through theirs.  But even if I have to buy a router table, that plus new wood and screws and paint will cost much less than any equivalent new shelves.  So, those are a keep.  The flooring must go.  The plastic utility sink?  I dunno.  I think I can really hit and clean it to make it fine, but the surround is messed up - water damaged laminate.  So do I replace the countertop and surround and keep the sink?  Or do I just rip that all out including cabinet and put in a shiny new stainless steel sink with attached shelf or cabinet ... but again it's MDF instead of wood.  Oh, and that really old washer dryer will get updated with fancy stackables that will practically do the laundry themselves.  (I have a bonus coming from work soon that will cover that cost.) 

Anyway, these are the thoughts that consume me when I'm not totally maxed out with work.  Lots of decisions to make. 

No comments:

Post a Comment