Hurricane season started this month and a bad season is forecast.
Last year, I was not prepared for Ida or the two weeks without electricity. This year I'm better prepared, with a solar generator and flashlights and camp stove and rehydration beverages and provisions and gas cans and fans.
Last year we mobilized quickly for mutual aid and I was kept busy, and then I was informed to start a new job before I even had electricity. I recently got in touch with two friends from Ida times and I'd forgotten how much we did. Post-hurricane times are busy, with remediating and helping everyone.
Today I'm starting to focus on this, as I'm feeling less completely overwhelmed and more kicking into gear. I'm charging things, like lanterns and phone bank.
We had massive flooding yesterday. It rained over 5" in an hour and there was standing water everywhere around. I stayed at work instead of driving through it, but my tenant took good photos of how bad it was. As I eventually drove home I saw remnants of flooding in the streets and in my yard, but the water had receded by then which is good but we cannot take for granted. Maybe that's kicked me into gear.
I'm sorting through things, maybe listing some things for sale. Friends are stopping by to dig out some plants which I'll replace with natives. It's supposed to rain again today but right now it's just hot and sunny so I'm not going out despite ample yard work I have to do.
This morning between selling aluminum (five months worth of LaCroix for $6.50) and arguing with Home Depot to get refund on a product that broke on second use, I accidentally ended up in a touristy area. It's actually a commercial area but after hours it's touristy. I had a very good latte (for $6.77 with tip, so I didn't even cover gas to recycle) and remembered that I like exploring my city and enjoying good things. I need to get out more. It's been over a year.
A young friend asked me to speak at her career day and I'm very touched by that. She wants us to go get sno-balls as well and I need to do that.
While I'm still feeling good I need to climb up and clean all the construction debris and drywall goop from the top of my kitchen cabinets so I can stash stuff up there again. Among many other chores.
I started watching Queer as Folk on Peacock; it's a reboot in New Orleans and I'm liking it quite a lot.
No comments:
Post a Comment