Thursday, June 23, 2022

beginning of goodbye

 11 pm and I went outside, which I rarely do.  Was taking an item out for trash pickup early tomorrow morning, and I kept wandering.  My sunflowers are blooming.  The neighborhood is so very still.  I breathe in the stillness.  I go in the house and the dog and I go to the backyard and just sit.  I feel the energy around me.

This house, this yard, this neighborhood - despite the challenges, it's all been very good to me.  Life has been very good here.  I have had freedom to grow food, the dog has had freedom to run.  

But there is a storm over off Africa.  There's no warning of anything yet, but the warnings will come. 

I am stocking and preparing.  I am so laser focused on being better prepared this time than last.  I even identified a foodie friend who always evacuates to carry my sourdough and yogurt starters.  I am ordering more supplies, from Pedialyte popsicles to a camp stove toaster.  I will do better this year.

The one thing I really want to happen before a hurricane is to get bananas.  I don't know that it's even possible now since I haven't seen a flower.  But a hurricane will wipe out my banana trees, and while they will come back it's unlikely that I'll still be here to wait for fruit.  

I am beginning my goodbyes in my heart.  Barring something unexpected, this will be my last hurricane season. 

No comments:

Post a Comment