Yesterday at work, my favorite person was fired. It was a dysfunctional firing, with no proper chain of command followed - just somebody annoyed and another person not standing up. The alleged reason for the firing was because so much more was demanded of my favorite person than anyone else, and somebody felt that she wasn't catering specifically to them enough - which was a logistical issue. But also an issue of other people not stepping up to help, but especially of lack of communication. Her direct supervisor and that person's supervisor were not even consulted or apprised.
The entire afternoon was spent in closed door meetings and her being rehired - after she had emptied her very full office and been made to feel horrible.
It is the worst. The way that the people in charge treat people is so horrible, and all it does is reduce productivity, increase backstabbing, and decimate morale.
And i know that my day will come. Right now they need me, but they're also annoyed with my proficiency. It is impossible to meet the demands of the top two people - one says to do something and then forgets they said it and get angry for it being done, and the other says to do something and then says to do the opposite and then gets angry for it all (like not reading their mind, when their mind is a chaotic mess). That's where we're at now. And these people are rarely at the office - they think that being in charge means they don't need to be present or involved. One demanded that something happen and is refusing to deal with the fallout - annoyed with me for bringing up what is a serious situation that they completely 100% created and which needs to be remedied very quickly. And I'm the messenger in danger of being shot.
It's truly insane.
And I'm overwhelmed with roof drama. The owner of the roofing company called last night demanding payment. "It is customary that when we finish a job that we be paid in full." "I'm sorry that you were miscommunicated with. The job is not finished - the flat roof appears improperly installed and I just met with your salesman showing what needs to be repaired. So I am not paying in full at this time until that is repaired. And I am happy to pay for what has been done fine, but I have been asking over a month for an updated invoice that I can provide to my insurance company as claim documentation, because the last one I received HAS THE WRONG ADDRESS and doesn't include about $15,000 of work. It is customary to provide this for payment." Because seriously, if they aren't able to give me a final invoice and fix the roof BEFORE I pay in full, why on earth would I believe that they're going to do it after? And he was very nice, but he tried to argue with me about a few things - like saying that they didn't fully tear down my roof and make it flat when there was previously a pitch. He was very confused with what I was saying. My roof was pitched at least 2/12 before, which is too flat for asphalt shingles so we agreed to them instead installing a flat roof system. And then we discovered the joists were total shit and needed to be replaced. I understood that they would just replace them and keep the pitch; instead flattened it out completely and now there is pooling water in low spots. To say that I am frustrated and overwhelmed with this would be a massive understatement.
And that's the state of the world today for me. Trying to keep it together, not entirely successfully.
No comments:
Post a Comment