The longer I'm at this new job, the more dysfunctional I realize it is. And not in a way I can stay separate from.
They fire people willy nilly, break people's spirits. It's awful. They haven't really come for me yet but they're dragging me into drama. There are so many rants but little work, and the people in charge are rarely there but they refuse to allow any flexibility to other people. Petty fiefdoms at the worst.
I, like many people in this country, am over office dynamics. Having worked for nearly a year from home due to pandemic, I realize its benefits. And I'm feeling about ready to be my own boss, after seeing a particularly egregiously aggressive micromanagement yesterday (and why am I being dragged into it? I have nothing to do with this, it's entirely outside my job description to get involved with other departments for dressing downs).
I could do things like textbook editing (something I saw on a show last night). Or ... I'm sure there's all sorts of things I can do from home. I just need to figure it out.
But first I need to work where I am for at least about eight more months, to finish my student loans and to vest in a pension system. I need to hold my nose and avoid the worst of the shit and not get fired.
I don't mind working hard, though I would have to set up my life to not get all consumed by work. But how wonderful it is to be able to take a minute in the middle of the day to take clothes from the line, to start sourdough. And if I'm not using all my people energy on work drama, I could see friends again. Do social things, get involved in the community.
Who knows what the future holds. But likely something good. I just have to find it.
No comments:
Post a Comment