Off the top of my head, Gustav was a 4. Zeta was a 3 - I wasnt here for it but I fixed the damage, so I have a sense of what to expect and I've gone pretty hardcore with the preparations - everything is inside now and I am in so much pain from overexertion. We'll be hunkered down. It's a fast storm, which is why the city is so unprepared, but that's also good for not having it sit over us for three days. It'll be harrowing and then it'll be over.
I did look at the Katrina mortality charts. Half of ORleans deaths were people with other issues (like having a heart attack). 1/3 were drowning. I know it's a leap of faith but I think the levee system is working better now than then, and I'm elevated significantly and do not plan to venture out. If we are surrounded by floodwaters that will be tough with the dog, but I'm prepared to be in my house for extended time in terms of water and food. All my windows open, and I have a hatchet if I have to get into the attic and escape that way. But that would require like six or more feet of water standing, which isn't very likely. And I have a dog life jacket.
Frankly, with the situation in Afghanistan, I definitely do not think Biden will err on the side of neglect - we already have a disaster declaration and resources mobilized.
The worst that I anticipate will be a long time without power. And if there's damage to my roof here's hoping it's enough to get insurance to pay for full replacement with a better one.
Fingers and toes crossed!!!
ReplyDeleteHave you been in a cat 3 or 4 hurricane? I worry about you, lady. I know you'll be fine but still, I worry.
ReplyDeleteOff the top of my head, Gustav was a 4. Zeta was a 3 - I wasnt here for it but I fixed the damage, so I have a sense of what to expect and I've gone pretty hardcore with the preparations - everything is inside now and I am in so much pain from overexertion. We'll be hunkered down. It's a fast storm, which is why the city is so unprepared, but that's also good for not having it sit over us for three days. It'll be harrowing and then it'll be over.
DeleteI did look at the Katrina mortality charts. Half of ORleans deaths were people with other issues (like having a heart attack). 1/3 were drowning. I know it's a leap of faith but I think the levee system is working better now than then, and I'm elevated significantly and do not plan to venture out. If we are surrounded by floodwaters that will be tough with the dog, but I'm prepared to be in my house for extended time in terms of water and food. All my windows open, and I have a hatchet if I have to get into the attic and escape that way. But that would require like six or more feet of water standing, which isn't very likely. And I have a dog life jacket.
Frankly, with the situation in Afghanistan, I definitely do not think Biden will err on the side of neglect - we already have a disaster declaration and resources mobilized.
The worst that I anticipate will be a long time without power. And if there's damage to my roof here's hoping it's enough to get insurance to pay for full replacement with a better one.